St. Mel’s Cathedral Longford, a protected structure, built in the neo-classical style between 1840-1893, was severely damaged by a fire on the 25th of December 2009 in which the interior of the building together with the roof and timber floors were completely destroyed. The project aim was to restore the Cathedral to its former glory whilst developing a liturgical setting fitting of a Cathedral for the 21st century.
Photos are representative of some of the re-construction works. Refer to the separate page for completed interior and exterior images.
The Cathedral re-opened to the public on Saturday 20th December 2014, followed by a live broadcast of the Christmas Day Mass on RTE One.
The formal dedication of the Cathedral is scheduled for 17th May 2015, on the anniversary of the building’s original construction.
Selected Media Links:Ciaran Mullooly’s feature for RTE (broadcast December 11th 2013) available to watch online. - RTE - The Journal.ie - The Irish Times - October 2012 - The Irish Times - December 2014 - RTE Radio 1 - RTE Documentary